Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't Forget Hispanic Heritage



I posted this last year and just wanted to remind you about our Hispanic Heritage Unit because well it is September now.  So if you are trying to figure out what to do, check out our unit.  My students love this unit because a lot of them have not been exposed to so many different cultures.  They look forward to doing it on Fridays.  


Hispanic Heritage Teachers Notebook
Hello!

OK so I know that September is almost over but if you are like me you are wondering where it went. Didn't it fly by so fast!!!! Well September is Hispanic Heritage Month and along with learning about apples, Johnny Appleseed, and testing I always try to fit it in.

I usually reserve Fridays in the month of September and highlight a different country. I have the students fill out their passports and I even stamp them. Then we buckle up and get ready for our travels.  Sometimes if I have enough donations we even have an in flight snack while we go on a tour of the country courtesy of my smart board. After we have toured the country we talk about the language and some of the music. I always try to download some traditional music on my ipod so that we can listen to it while we color in our flag and find our capital on our map. After we have done that we either have a craft or enjoy some traditional games. I love to show the students some pictures of the children in the different cultures so that they know that they are not much different than them. As September comes to an end we have to finish up our Hispanic Heritage Month and I usually finish it off by eating some traditional foods. I usually have parents donate money so that I can cook some things up. Now that Rio is out on dvd we will enjoy the movie while finishing off our fiesta.

I have uploaded my mini unit on TeachersNotebook and TPT if you are interested. My students really enjoy this unit so I hope you will too. Just click on the link and it will take to our store.

Now I am off to enjoy the last few hours before my weekend ends.
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I totally LOVE your poetry folder!! We have been using it for this school year to help with memorization! My little girls love saying the poems..but the apple one is my 3 year olds favorite!! Thank you for such a great resource!
    The Moffatt Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW Thank you so much for this comment. Made my day :) I wish I could totally take credit for these poems but I got them from a teacher when I was student teaching and I just made them cuter. My students loved them too! Now I am going to start them with my 4 year old. Thanks for reminding me. LOL!!!
      Cindy

      Delete